Women Primary Breadwinners

05.29.13 | Abby Lutcher

Mothers now keep finances afloat in 40 percent of households with children, that's up from just 11 percent in 1960. While most of these families are headed by single mother's, a growing number are married mothers who bring in more income than their husbands, according to a study released today by the Pew Research Center. Of today's bread-winning mothers, 63 percent were single mothers. The other 37 percent out-earned their spousesDemographers say the change is all but irreversible and is likely to bring added attention to childcare policies. At the same time, marriage rates have fallen to record lows. Forty percent of all births now happen out of wedlock.